Sunday, March 18, 2012

March 18, 2012, Bob Brinker's Moneytalk: Part I, Show Summary, Excerpts and Commentary

March 18, 2012...Bob Brinker hosted Moneytalk today...................(comments welcome)

Bob Brinker opened the program with a  recommendation for a book written by Walter Isaacson that he just finished reading: Steve Jobs

STOCK MARKET....Honey's EC: Clearly Bob Brinker is very bullish on the stock market, and will no doubt remain so, at least until the S&P reaches his projected mid-to-high 1400s.  It's very unlikely that Bob will ever again recommend that subscribers sell equities or raise cash.  

Look at his record: Bob made no allocation changes during the 57% megabear market drop in 2008 (and early 2009) -- the worst bear of his lifetime.   And he didn't bat an eye during two corrections last year. Each correction came within a fraction of  a  20% decline. So ask yourself, what would it take for him to issue a sell signal? World War III? 

ECONOMY....Bob made no comments about the economy or interest rates.

GREECE IS NUMBER ONE....Bob said: "I have no fear of contradiction when I say that Greece is number one in the world for sovereign fiscal irresponsibility. I don't think anybody even comes close....The new 10-year Greek sovereign debt, this is the one with the lower coupon after losing 53% of the face value off the original securities -- a 75% real net present value discount to the owners -- the new 10-year Greek debt is yielding 17.4% which is more than double the typical junk bond yield." 


 BOB'S MARKETIMER STOCK MARKET TIMING MODEL....Caller Wayne from Alabama asked Bob how he gathered information about the markets, and what did he follow to "keep up with things." 

Bob replied:    "I follow a tremendous number of things, far too numerous to mention. All the traditional things you would think of in terms of publications that are out there. I also do proprietary work. I run a stock market timing model that I use for my market calls. That is the timing model that gave the buy signal in September of last year near the bottom for 2011. It's the timing model that gave the buy signal at the beginning of July for 2010 which was essentially at the low for 2010. It's also the timing model that gave the sell signal in the first quarter of the year 2000 near the top of the market at that time. It's also the timing model that gave the buy signal on March 11, 2003, which was essentially the bottom of that bear market. Is it perfect? No, it's not perfect. Is it highly valuable. Absolutely, to me because it's enabled me to make some calls that I would not be able to make..... 

.....There are many components to that model -- far too numerous to mention.....I think the best way to answer your question is to use an analogy. The analogy that I would use would be that of somebody that's been a lifetime baseball manager and has all that experience that they have been able to assemble, literally over decades and then put to use when they get into a game time situation.....The Tony LaRussa's, the Joe Torreys, the Mike Sochia's...You would never question their ability that they know their stuff and they know what to do in any situations. They make mistakes too. In other words, I started in the investment business when I was in my 20's....I feel as though the key to being able to do this....

.......I believe very strongly in the value of stock market timing to add value because you don't have to be perfect. You just have to occasionally miss major bear market such as we did from 2000 to 2003. We successfully navigated that horrible bear market....You just have to be able to miss an occasional bear market in order to beat the buy and holders. Because the buy and holders are in all the time for all the drops."

Honey EC: Bob's lengthy and convoluted answer to Wayne may be his all-time-best horse-puckey. Here are the facts:
* The Marketimer timing model consists of four components: Economic Outlook; Monetary Policy; Equity Valuation; Equity Valuation; Investor Sentiment. Bob talked about his timing model at a public Leukemia event in San Jose a few years back, and I double-checked in Marketimer -- it has not changed.

* Bob's timing model missed the worst major bear market since the Great Depression in 2008-'09, and his model portfolios lost 57% -- top to bottom. November 22, 2008, this exchange on Moneytalk: Caller Darryl asked: "Did your market timing model detect any of this chaos in the market?" Bob Brinker answered: "It did not.

* The year-2000 sell-signal raised only 65%  cash, and he advised putting up to 50% of that cash into QQQ which lost 70% from his buy price.

* In reality, Bob has been a buy-and-hold advisor since March 2003 because he has not issued a sell signal since August 2000.

* Being a buy-and-holder didn't stop Bob from issuing the buy-signals he mentioned, and it didn't stop him from issuing buy-signal repeatedly as the stock market declined in 2008. All of the 2008 buy-signals were higher than the ones he mentioned in 2010 and 2011. 
 MARKETIMER BALANCED PORTFOLIO AND PAGE 7 INCOME PORTFOLIO....Caller Lori from California asked if should she sell her Ginnie Maes and what should she replace them with.

Bob replied: "I like to invest for income within the context of an overall portfolio....If they follow my lead, they are either going to go with my income portfolio which I publish on page 7 of my investment letter, or the balanced portfolio which includes an income component there.....We have a Ginnie Mae component in our balanced portfolio and we also have a Ginnie Mae component in our page 7 income portfolio.....We continue to hold Ginnie Mae as part of the portfolio......I would rather that be a given percentage, but not an entire income portfolio....In our income portfolio on page 7, we have five holdings.....In our balanced portfolio, we have a number of income oriented holdings......" 

Honey EC: As Bob stated, his now-famous income portfolio on page 7 (the equity portfolios lost money last year -- not much to brag about there),  has the Vanguard Ginnie Mae Fund is in it, but he  has reduced the weighting to 15% -- down from  50%. The balanced model portfolio III now has only 20% Ginnie Mae Fund.  The other income components in the balanced portfolio III are 10% Vanguard Short Term Investment Grade (VFSTX) and 20% Vanguard Wellesley Income Fund. 


BOB BOUGHT APPLE A DECADE AGO BUT NOT IN MARKETIMER OR MONEYTALK....Caller Anthony from Virginia inquired about the price of Apple's stock.

Bob replied:  "...you would have a price - earnings multiple conservatively calculated at about 12 times forward 4th quarter earnings.....As to how you are going to value Apple, that will dependent on the ability of the company to maintain earnings momentum. Right now, there's a  lot of excitement in the shares because the new IPad has been introduced.....and there's a lot of excitement .....around the new IPad.....You won't hear any complaints about Apple from me because Apple has been extremely good to me over the last decade or so....It's been a magnificent performer. It's a company that I'm invested in, and for the last ten years it's probably been the number one performer over that ten year period that I've owned it.  As to when you make a decision to sell Apple? Well, I think that's a decision at some point will have to be made. But I think those who have stayed with it are very, very glad that they have stayed with it....."

Honey EC: Shark Alert! Shark Alert! Bob Brinker has never recommended Apple stock in Marketimer and has never before said he had invested in Apple on Moneytalk.  Don't be deceived into thinking otherwise in spite of how it might have sounded.  A man of integrity would have made it clear that this was a personal choice that he made for himself  but never shared with listeners OR subscribers. The only two individual stocks that Bob has had on his list of individual issues in Marketimer over the past ten years are Microsoft and Vodafone. 

Bob Brinker's Moneytalk on Demand is FREE on KSFO560.  Shows are archived for seven days after broadcast.

Bob's guest-speaker, Peter Kiernan, wrote a book with a title that Bob said he could not say on air: Becoming China's Bitch: And Nine More Catastrophes We Must Avoid Right Now

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Honey,

rasputin here - I'll be looking forward to your summary. I missed BB's opening statement today. How have you been? Between the current political situation and the economy and the debt...whew, I just don't know. I'm still 60-40 (stocks to bonds) but not happy about it. Well, I am happy about it because of the current market trend, but I wish I could say I was optimistic long-term. My company recently switched from Vanguard to VALIC (which I also was NOT happy about). The good news is that at least they have Vanguard Target Retirement funds which I'm in (2015). So, how 'bout you? Market treating you OK? New pets? Hey, I may be inheriting a tarantula named Lulu? How creepy is that?

Honeybee said...

Hi Ras,

So good to hear from you! The first thing I will do when I finish listening and writing my Moneytalk summary is answer your note. :)

Anonymous said...

rasputin here - So, how come Bob was such a pussy? Not being willing to say that the title of Kiernan's book is "Becoming China's Bitch".

bartee said...

wow.. that was shocking about the china interest in our country,, we just tra la la and let everything go ,, let non citizens in the country to live off us and then wonder while we are debt?? something has to be done to be done ,, and maybe it is up to the people ,,, at last,,,

john said...

Hi Honey;

Thanks also for the part 1 update. I agree with you on the issue Bob is a perma bull. No need to buy marketimer he will be a Bull from now to probably forever. Anyways good to hear Ras likes vanguard retirement funds. Thats my choice also ras. I am a little older than you so they directed me to VTINX a retirement income fund and i am very happy there thank you very much vanguard. Good to read your post Honey.. Keep given us the other side of Bob Brinker Thanks again John

birdbrain said...

When Mr B said that he personally manages every portfolio and writes every word in his investment letter, he was speaking directly to the host and readers of this blog.

He claims that he has owned Apple stock for a decade or so and it has probably been the number one performer that he has owned. A rise of over 4500% in ten years is PROBABLY one of his top investments? The inclusion of that one word raises doubt. As Honey brought up, why no mention of this great success in print or on air?

Honeybee said...

Birdbrain said: "When Mr B said that he personally manages every portfolio and writes every word in his investment letter, he was speaking directly to the host and readers of this blog."

I'm so glad that you let me know that you caught that too.

I will cover this in my hour-two summary later today. I just WISH there was some way that I could include audio clips. The next best thing I can do is note the exact time it happens so that those who want to hear it can do so by downloading it from KSFO.

I felt like Bob Brinker was, as you said, speaking directly to me and everyone who reads and posts here.

He could barely contain his anger and I KNEW he was furious about the discussion in my article about the Jr-Brinker's Fixed Income Advisor.

I answered him back, but I doubt he heard me. LOL!

BobA said...

"* The Marketimer timing model consists of four components: Economic Outlook; Monetary Policy; Equity Valuation; Equity Valuation; Investor Sentiment. Bob talked about his timing model at a public Leukemia event in San Jose a few years back, and I double-checked in Marketimer -- it has not changed."

Aren't those the root causes of a bear market?

The timing model I think is proprietary and has hundreds of components according to Brinker.

I agree with Brinker that the model doesn't have to call EVERY bear market. Just ONE and you are better off than NONE, I think.

Jim said...

Brinker made another misleading statement when he said he "Successfully navigated" the 2000-2003 bear market. This would lead new listeners to believe that he didn't lose a dime during that bear. We know better.

He also defended marketiming by saying that if the marketimer misses just one bear then he beats the buy and holder. However he failed to mention the other scenerio. That would be if the marketimer sells and the market continues to rally. In that case the buy and holder is picking up additional gains while the marketimer is sitting in cash.

He never gives the whole story but instead just selects bits and pieces to give the listeners.

Honeybee said...

Hi Ras, my old friend from Suite 101 days. Remember the fun times in the chat room with Reporter, Will, Al, Jen, Karin and others?

Thanks for sharing your investing views. It sounds like you may be following Bob Brinker's "balanced" approach.

I share your long-term concerns -- especially if interest rates go back up and servicing the National Debt becomes nearly impossible.

I never heard of VALIC. I don't blame you for being unhappy about that switch.

Yes, right now my investments are doing well. I'm even recovering some of my losses that I incurred by making the same mistake as Bill Gross and thinking interest rates were headed up last year. I shorted the bond market. :(

But I'm patient and believe I will recover all and make money eventually.

No new pets. I only have the white cat now. His brother and sister died last year. He seems lonely and needy, so he gets lots of attention. :)

Did I read you right???!!! You are inheriting a tarantula named Lulu??!!

That is not only creepy, it would give me nightmares. I have one major phobia, and that is spiders. I panic at the site of one.

Take care, Ras....It was good to hear from you....

Honeybee said...

David Korn, who sells a weekly newsletter (which usually comes out on Mondays after the program) that contains a summary of Bob Brinker's Moneytalk, sends me a complimentary issue. In return, I sometimes promote his newsletter on this blog.

David has been writing Brinker summaries for about 13 years. Here are David Korn's comments concerning Bob Brinker's claim that he has invested in Apple for a "decade."


EC: What?!! This is the first time I have EVER heard Bob say he owns Apple! And Bob is not a guy who is likely to be shy about bragging when a stock he owns (but never recommended) is doing well. Note that Bob has never recommended Apple in his Marketimer, so this is the first I am hearing of it. And Bob has specifically discussed Apple on many occasions, only now is when he decided to let his audience know he owns it.

As for the people who did not hold on to Apple, well...., regretfully, I fall into that category. Subscribers may remember when I first recommended Apple in my newsletter portfolio was based on my enthusiasm over the iPod. I bought and sold it several times over the years in my newsletter, always at a profit, but in hindsight it would have been a beauty to have just held."


PS, Some insider gossip: David is very careful never to let his paying subscribers know about my blog.

When I asked him why, he told me he considers me competition. I told him I consider that a compliment coming from him.

Also, I guess my price is better than his. LOL!

Dan G said...

I didn't listen to Brinker yesterday, but I did have the misfortune to watch one of the KQED "geniuses" on planning for retirement. His name is Ed Slott. And here is his "plan".

The first step is one I can agree with (and the last!): Transfer money from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA as soon as possible.

Then avoid the stock market! Horrors! It incurs RISK! Instead, "invest" in a permanent (whole life) insurance policy! Yep, you heard it right. No risk, and you can actually build up cash value (which he neglected to say would be subtracted from the payout in the event of your demise).

Ready for more? Ok, "invest" in life insurance company annuities. No risk, and your kids won't have to worry about what to do with their inheritance. They won't get none!

And better yet, put a life insurance company annuity into your Roth IRA. Then the kids won't have to worry about your IRA when you die either.

Yep, a very simple plan by a very simple-minded guy. And the audience was just slurping it up.

I HATE pledge months (used to be pledge WEEK) which occur about every 3rd month now. All the popular shows are replaced by the likes of this nerd, Suze Orman, nutrition "experts", guys who have the secret of a perfect life, but have written 50 books on how to achieve it, yet another one will be out next month that will REALLY tell you how to live!

Yes, March is a pledge month. And they call the NCAA basketball tournament "March Madness"! Ha!

Honeybee said...

Hot off the press!

Memo To ECRI: The Consumer Spending Situation Does NOT Support Your Recession Call
New Deal democrat, The Bonddad Blog | Mar. 19, 2012, 11:26 AM

Read more

Pig said...

BobA says:

I agree with Brinker that the model doesn't have to call EVERY bear market. Just ONE and you are better off than NONE, I think.

I think so too. (don't I) But which one does ya follow? The right call or the dozens of wrong ones, and than (sic) what does ya do in between, after following the wrong calls? Does brinker and brinker et al refund the money that ya LOOSED?

bobABC

Watcher said...

Disingenuous Recession Explanations from ECRI Regarding Coincident Indicators; An Email Response From ECRI; Does the ECRI Even Believe Its Own Indicators?....

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2012/03/disingenuous-recession-explanations.html

Anonymous said...

So, how come Bob was such a pussy?

Uh, because that is what he is. You would have him deny his nature?

tfb

Anonymous said...

I agree with Brinker that the model doesn't have to call EVERY bear market. Just ONE and you are better off than NONE, I think.

Oh gosh you are killing me!!!! There is an entire body of research that no one can successfully time the market and yet people persist in believing this nonsense. To the best to my knowledge there is more evidence for the existence of BigFoot than successful market timers.

tfb

Anonymous said...

Honey you can download the segment and these a myriad of free software to edit the clip to the sound bite you want.

I can hook you up with my radio show co to explain the editing if you wish.

As long as you make comments around the soundbites it should fall under fair use.

tfb

Anonymous said...

At the risk of turning this into the Ed Slott Beehive Buzz, here is another story. In Chicago, there is an annuity salesman who has had a 1 hour show on WLS radio for years. A few weeks ago, he changed his pitch. He is now an "Ed Slott certified" advisor. He offers free videos of Ed Slott telling you to put your money into annuities. This moved the needles on my shark meter and sleaze meter past the red line.

StoxNBondz

Anonymous said...

The more I listen to Bob Brinker in recent times the more I am disappointed in him. Confessing he has owned Apple stock for ten years is just the latest. This is the market timer that strongly suggested his subscribers buy UTEK, QQQ and missed the biggest bear downturn since the 1930's. Now I find out he has kept his Apple investment a secret. Not only that but he would slight Apple over Microsoft on his radio program, going so far as to say if you like Apple than buy their products but buy Microsoft's stock. What a difference it would have made to The Market Time subscribers if he had recommended Apple over QQQ or at least telling them to rotate out of the Q's and into Apple. I don't think Mr. Brinker really cares to roll up his sleeves and do the work he once did. I stopped subscribing in 2008 realizing if he missed the downturn of such magnitude he really wasn't paying attention and I was just throwing money away on his news letter.

Richard in Santa Fe

Bartee said...

I agree.. that bobbie never shared that his own personal portfolio held APPLE... and didn't share it ..probably because he didn't want to make a mistake like he did when he recommende the QQQ's,,, and people lost and he would lose subscribers too,, can't believe he told people to sell I bonds ,when they are inflation protected and have compound interest,, first he say you are in the catbird seat owning them and they he says sell them ,, yawn make your mind up bobbie