Sunday, May 29, 2011

May 29, 2011, Bob Brinker's Moneytalk: Summary, Commentary and Excerpts

                                                                           [ POST OR READ COMMENTS]

(Note to those who are having difficulty posting comments: I have made some changes, hopefully it will resolve the issues.)

Posted May 29, 2011....Bob Brinker's fill-in host was  Lynn Jimenez.  Jimenez is a business reporter for KGO radio.

The third hour of the program, Jimenez' guest speaker was  oil analyst John Kilduff.  John Kilduff  recently appeared before the United States Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources to give an assessment of the energy markets. Here are a few of Kilduff's  CNBC Predictions for 2011:   Emerging markets will falter; energy prices will trade lower;  the dollar will rally;  the US will take military action in Yemen; the Fed will step back from Quantitative Easing.

Jimenez'  interview with John Kilduff was very interesting.  Is it all to be believed? I report, you decide:

OIL PRICES JUSTIFIED?  Jimenez asks John if the prices we are paying at the pump are justified by supply and demand. John said: "It's hard to justify where prices are right now, given the fact that the economy is slowing down; given the fact where   inventories are around the world......prices should be about 20% lower."

WHAT ARE THE SOURCES OF OIL AND HOW MUCH DO WE USE?   John said:  "We consume about 16 million barrels a day. We import  about 10 million of that, so it's about 2/3rds of our requirement comes from outside the United States. Now we've gotten luckier over the years because a lot of that outside the United States increasingly  is coming from Canada....And Mexico as well pitches in with a good amount of oil....Venezuelans are a big source of our oil as well as Nigeria. And of course, we can't leave out Saudi Arabia, Kuwait as rounding out the top players of oil supply to the United States."

ARE WE RUNNING OUT OF OIL......Lynn asked John if the world is running out of oil. John said  "Oh not at all. They're finding more oil all the time, everywhere, but it is in deeper water....." 

IS DEMAND RISING?  John said: "Demand is actually somewhat stable....the US oil industry is worried about a peak situation. But not the peak oil one that we hear so much about. They are worried about peak gasoline demand in this country." Jimenez asked, then why are they charging almost $4 a gallon?  John said he simply had  "no answer to that question." 

ARE REFINERS MAKING PROFITS?   John said: "They are making wildly unbelievable profits right now. The spread is historic. I can remember where they made a dollar or two a barrel of crude that run through their refinery on gasoline. It recently got as high a $40 a barrel....Normal is about $9 to 12....Because they've been running at persistently low run rate or plants have  just sat idle for the past 18 months. It seems like we never quite got back to the historic levels after Hurricane Katrina, but we flirted with them. They have been running as low as 78% capacity."  

THEY ARE EXPORTING OIL AND KEEPING SUPPLY DOWN... John said:  "Yes, there have been significant exports of finished gasoline products out of the Gulf Coast down south while our own US gasoline inventories, instead of building ahead of the summer driving season,  actually plunged for the past six weeks and supplies got tight.....We had a slight increase in the most recent report last week, but we we're still around 84%, which is really paltry ahead of the Memorial Day Weekend......Folks are seeing remarkably high prices for gasoline and it's threatening the economy."

GLOBAL SUPPLY IN JEOPARDY....John said:  "There's no denying that supplies of crude oil are in jeopardy right now in the Middle East because of the revolutions that are going on there.....There's worried buyers besides us out there who are  potentially going to  step up their consumption of it, their storage of it.  The Chinese especially don't want to be left without sufficient supplies."

SHOULD WE HAVE ALLOWED SO MANY REFINERIES TO BE SOLD OR SHUT DOWN.....John said: "I think it needs to be looked at. What's happening right now with the refiners reminds me of what happened in California with the electricity crisis. When we first heard about it I was skeptical that they would idle plants or hold back on power. Sure enough, that is exactly what happened. So I'm not going to be as  quick this time around to say this investigation is without merit. The investigations that are without merit is at the local guy at the corner stand......"

Jimenez interjected  that part of the reason that refineries are holding back on supply is because the government offers them subsidies.

CAN U.S. POLITICIANS AFFECT OIL PRICES...John said: "Well there's only so much they can do. I think keeping the heat on the industry is a good idea, keeping them honest. I've always been in favor of being more aggressive in using the strategic oil reserves in times like this when supplies are threatened or appear to be threatened. But I also keeping it pure in terms a real national security resource like another terrorism attack....Should we go to a one single national gasoline standard that is may be a bit more polluting to bring down prices in times like this." 
 

STATE SALES TAX....John said: "In some of the states it's a percentage sales tax. So as the price gets to $4, the states getting a bigger and bigger piece of the gallon. It's roughly about 18 to 20%. And when we talk about price differences around the country, it's lower in the southeast where taxes are lower."

DROPPING DOLLAR EFFECTS..... John said: "How much the dollar's deterioration has driven these prices up, extraordinarily.....I hope it's as good for exports as they keep telling us because it's really painful. Not only at the gasoline pump but at the grocery store in terms of our basic food stuffs.  Commodities for the most part are globally priced in US dollars. So as the US dollar payment  gets driven down in its value, obviously  you need to have more of them to pay for the value of the food stuff or the barrel of oil.  So its direct inverse relationship. It's not necessarily pure and breaks down a bit from time to time, but recently and earlier this year, over the past two months,  as the dollar has declined, the inverse relationship has been about 90%."


FED PRINTING CAUSING OIL AND FOOD PRICE TO RISE...John said: "So as we sit here and watch the Federal Reserve do what they can to stabilize the economy and they feel the best course of action is to print more dollars and monetize our debt, that's driving the value of our dollar down against all major currencies and its rised the price of  gasoline and crude oil up. We are paying for that policy whether we like it or not.....


INFLATION SCARE IS TRANSITORY? John said: "Federal Reserve economists that I have the privilege to talk with from time to time will sit there and pound their fist on the table and tell you that until  unemployment picks up that this inflation scare is just that, it's not real. When they say it's transitory, that is  what they mean. It may be an artificially inflated commodity bubble because of monetary policy, but it's not real until there is fuller employment or even something approaching employment, and there's real wage pressure. Until that, they are not going to worry about it is what they tell me."  

Honey EC: All I can say to all of the above is, YIKES, YIKES, YIKES. :)

Dixiegeezer's photo of the entrance to a Botanical Garden in Florida (click to enlarge):

 


Moneytalk on demand and to go with Bob Brinker, is available for FREE audio/podcasting at KGO810 radio for seven days after broadcast. I download and save all three hours, including the third hour guest-speaker. (The program is archived in the 1-4pm time-slots.) If you don't download it from KGO within seven day, it's available at bobbrinker.com by paid subscription. KGO Radio Sunday
.

29 comments:

jeffchristie said...

The effect of high fuel costs on the economy is a timely subject. Bob Brinker is on the record that it is not inflationary. Some of us don't agree with him on this. Last week Greta Van Susteren did a show on the subject. One segment showed how it was driving up the price of seafood. The Alaskan salmon fisherman are paying more for diesel fuel so it is costing them more to catch the fish. Then it is transported to the wholesaler. He delivers it to the stores and restaurants via truck. The additional transportation costs are being passed on to consumers.

Honeybee said...

Jeffchristie, you are correct that Bob Brinker has repeatedly stated that rising oil prices are not inflationary.

He claims that they act like a tax on the people.

Brinker also claims that the price of food is not going up. When callers have asserted that they are paying more at the grocery store, Brinker flat out refuses to believe them.

Looks like the true expert on the subject, totally disagrees with Bob Brinker.

.

Honeybee said...

Anonymous said...

It is I, the fluffy rodent checking in...greetings to Pig and Honey...

tfb

Honeybee said...

Who ya gonna believe, "The sky is not falling" Lynn Jimenez or Mark Mobius?

"Mark Mobius, executive chairman of Templeton Asset Management’s emerging markets group, said another financial crisis is inevitable because the causes of the previous one haven’t been resolved.

“There is definitely going to be another financial crisis around the corner because we haven’t solved any of the things that caused the previous crisis,” Mobius said at the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan in Tokyo today in response to a question about price swings. “Are the derivatives regulated? No. Are you still getting growth in derivatives? Yes.”


Read more at Bloomberg

.

Anonymous said...

I loved hearing Jimenez prop up the liberal's standard of investing in education despite every evidence to the contrary that what the U.S. and world suffer from is educational credential inflation. And Jimenez and Da Brink seem to have the same prescription: keep fueling the fire.

In my area they now claim 1/3 of all entering college freshman need remedial classes! The college failure rate is astounding, and many graduate with minimal rudimentary skills. It is no wonder many employers are looking for a college degree to operate a cash register as high school diploma does not even mean you can read any longer.

The message is employers are seeking ever higher scholastic accreditation because the academic standards have been eroded and a BA or BS is the GED of 20 years go.

I would suggest parents look at the possibility of buying a small business for their children in lieu of spending a small fortune on an education that equips you to do little in life. It is not a fit for all children but certainly something one should consider.

tfb

Honeybee said...

Invesco PowerShares is now offering ETFs focusing on convertible bonds:

ETF Guide

Worried about the world food supply? You can now invest in a fertilizer/potash ETF.

Eyeing Rising World Food Demand

Think you know where the dollar is going next? You can now invest in leveraged currency ETNs

.

Pig said...

This site scrolls very jumpy and irregularly for me.

How about a link to the comments section near the top of the section?

Honeybee said...

Mr. Pig,

Your wish is my command. I will put a comments link at the top of the articles.

But I am going to see if I tweak a bit so that it will scroll better. I am going to make the background more simple. Please let me know it it helps.

Pig said...

But I am going to see if I tweak a bit so that it will scroll better. I am going to make the background more simple. Please let me know it it helps.

Much MUCH better...........thank you!

Can you still leave the comment link at the top? I'll help pay for it.

Anonymous said...

Frankj:

This is a test.

Honeybee said...

TFB,

You laid out all the reasons and ended your post with this:

"I would suggest parents look at the possibility of buying a small business for their children in lieu of spending a small fortune on an education that equips you to do little in life. It is not a fit for all children but certainly something one should consider."


That makes perfect sense. It's a well-known fact that not every child is willing or capable of being successful in college.

Another option, which I think is just as much to be admired, is learning a trade.

In California, the education system used to offer learning a trade as an alternative to college.

The world needs more plumbers, electricians, builders, wood-craftsmen, mechanics and more.

To me, the most sought after skill is someone who can make simple repairs around my home. :)

.

Anonymous said...

I just want to point out I am nominating Pig to be your new Webmaster.

tfb

Anonymous said...

To me, the most sought after skill is someone who can make simple repairs around my home. :)

They are called men; that is why women keep them, sort of like pets. They really are similar as I get almost universal agreement that you have to property train them in order to get a good one.

tfb

Honeybee said...

Pig for webmaster? Done!

Mr Pig, you are hereby selected, anointed and basted as webmaster-pig.

.

Honeybee said...

Men = properly trained pets? Oh my, I better not comment on that. LOL!!

But seriously, a bit of personal background: Once upon a time, there was a very special one in my life. My wish was his command and I loved him dearly.

Sadly, one day quite unexpectedly, he left me for that big woodworking shop (his second love) in the sky.

.

Honeybee said...

Does anybody here use Netflix? Do you recommend it?

.

Pig said...

Does anybody here use Netflix? Do you recommend it?

Yes, we like it. We had it for years, both mail and instant with a Roku box connected to Comcast cable. The connection can be wired or wireless.

The instant movie selection is not as good as the mail out DVD.......but it is slowly improving.

Mailout movies are always here in 1 or 2 days, max. I have no idea how the post office can manage this, but they do.

Honeybee said...

Mr.Pig,

Thanks for the info about Netflix.

So if you were thinking of becoming a subscriber right now, which way would you go -- mail or "instant"?

.

Honeybee said...

Mr. Pig,

Since there was a misunderstanding about the links that was my fault, I am going to remove the discussion between you and me about it.

.

Smudge said...

With a traveling husband, I had to learn to do the home "HANDYMAN" jobs. It's just what an adult woman has to do... until arthritis sets in.

Honeybee said...

Hi Smudge,

Well, my hat's off to you if you learned how to do your own "handyman" work.

I can do certain things around the house, but electrical, plumbing woodworking, or mechanical things are not among them.

However, I have always been the appointed painter in my family. I have painted the exterior of two homes -- one of the two story. And I am the only one who has ever painted the interior of my homes.

I'm so much of a sissy, I get nervous when I have to plug something into an electrical outlet. :)

.

Pig said...

So if you were thinking of becoming a subscriber right now, which way would you go -- mail or "instant"?

You get both for the same monthly fee.

Anonymous said...

Frankj:

I use netflix and I like it. I get up to 2 movies at a time at home for about 15 a month and that includes unlimited instant.

You can stop watching an instant movie and come back to it later and the system somehow keeps track of where you left off and resumes at that point.

The instant movie selection is not as good as the movies by mail, but there are documentaries and tv series. I watched the entire 24 tv series (8 seasons ?) via instant.

Netflix represents another stock I should have bought. A relative told me about it and I thought, "oh who would want to go to all that trouble ... ordering them over the internet when you can go to the video store." Duh.

Smudge said...

Honey,
I am truly sorry for your loss. I should have directed my comment to anonymous who referred to men being treated as pets. I appreciate men and I don't appreciate sexism.

Honeybee said...

Hi Smudge,

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts.

I am sorry that you misunderstood TFB's humor. He has an equal opportunity sense of humor. LOL!

He's been known to occasionally talk about his "woman" with what could be interpreted as sexist to those who don't know what kind of a guy he really is....

He's a true gentleman in the most traditional sense of the word. And as I've said before, his "woman" is no doubt (in my mind) a very lucky woman.

So if you don't like something TFB says, just give it right back to him. I assure you he will take it in the spirit of fun. :)

.

Anonymous said...

So if you don't like something TFB says, just give it right back to him. I assure you he will take it in the spirit of fun. :)

Honey is right. I like to get women in a frazzle. I love it when they fluff and fold the laundry angrily or get so mad they dust up a storm :)

tfb

Anonymous said...

The appropriate way to handle a woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFAc2WiF2IE

Okay, flame retardant bunny suit is on :)

tfb

Honeybee said...

TFB,

In spite of my best effort, I laughed at your video.

I hope Mrs. TFB sees it and takes appropriate action -- and I don't mean passing out the goodies. LOL!

.

Pig said...

Pig for webmaster? Done!


OH MY GOODNESS...............NO NO NO!

The last webmaster that I knew about needed his daddy to tie his shoes, and he lost control of the website.

No thanks! I'll use my talents to butter the popcorn at my night job, or feed trimmer line to the grass weeder on my day job.